Sunday, October 30, 2011

Owen’s Birthday Party: The rest of the sweets

I’m kinda behind with my posts and tonight’s not really going to help because I’m just now, at 10:00, sitting down with my computer, Parenthood on the TV and the McHusband on the couch next to me.

I used my Baking Illustrated to find a tried and true yellow cake recipe for half of Owen’s cupcakes.  I’m not even going to post the recipe because I was disappointed in how they turned out.  Now, it may not have been ALL the recipe’s fault as I think I might’ve overbaked them a touch (I really gotta get an oven thermometer so I can test the temperature), but still the flavor wasn’t as good as I hoped although I did like the texture, which was a little denser than what you get from boxed mixes.

The other half of the cupcakes were chocolate, made with that recipe that doctors up a boxed mix with sour cream, pudding mix, and coffee.  Those have been perfect every time I’ve made them.

I took my swivel cupcake thingie to the party and added my mom’s themed party picks to the cupcakes.

IMG_2040

IMG_2041

They caught Owen’s eye.  He’s saying, “I want a cupcake.”

Owen wants a cupcake

So of course I had to give him what he wanted.

IMG_2053

Once he got a cupcake, Lyla wasn’t far behind.

IMG_2054

I also made some white chocolate chip pumpkin cookies, which went over really well.  They had a really good flavor, but I didn’t like the cakey consistency.  I like my cookies crumby – not to be confused with crummy – so these just didn’t work for me.  But it seems I might be the only one who felt that the cookies were less than great because feedback from everyone else was very positive.

IMG_2044

I’d left two cookies for the McHusband and by the time I got home that night, he’d eaten those and was hoping I was bringing some leftovers home with me.  But I let Shannon keep the extras.

More on the party coming up!  I also have to catch you up on the two costume-mandatory Halloween parties we went to, not to mention the treats I made for them.  And then there’re my Halloween decorations…  Like I said, I have lots of catching up to do.

Happy Monday!

No comments: