Monday, October 31, 2011

Owen’s Birthday: The Party

Okay, enough about the food, let’s get on with the fun!

There was pumpkin decorating.

IMG_2051

And swinging and sliding.

IMG_2058

IMG_2064

Bri and I looked super cute together in our stripes and aviators.

IMG_2072

Then Shannon and the big kids joined us.

IMG_2074

Time for presents!  Everyone was very generous and Owen got tons of great stuff.  Per Shannon’s suggestion, we got Owen a bike.  It was a team effort; I bought it, the McHusband put it together.  And Tucker?  Well, he provided the moral support.

IMG_2020

IMG_2023

While Owen was busy with the last couple of gifts, I got the bike from my car and parked it behind a post.  Shannon manned the camera and caught Owen’s reaction for me.  I think this picture’s worth more than a thousand words.

IMG_2083

IMG_2085

IMG_2089

Owen rides his new bike

A few party details.  My mom and Shannon did a terrific job of using what they had to create the party’s John Deere theme.

IMG_2102

IMG_2095

At one point, I was leaning over a picnic table refilling my cup with diet Coke.  I felt something on my butt and knew exactly what it was – Owen with his new grabber toy – but I figured Calvin put him up to it.  When I turned around, sure enough, there was Owen, but no Calvin.  What a little stinker!  His Uncle McHusband would be so proud.

IMG_2105

I can’t forget about the babies.  Olivia was really good during the party.  She was pretty content to hang out in her stroller so long as someone was with her.

IMG_2100

IMG_2106

G'ma was really happy to get her hands on Miss Maxie.

IMG_2092

Toward the end of the party, Owen came rushing back into the picnic shelter from the playground.  He was heading in my general direction and I decided to take advantage of his momentum and see if I could get a hug.  He jumped right into my arms and gave me the BEST hug as I lifted him up.  I could just tell it came from his heart and even now thinking about it and writing about it, it makes me tear up.  Surely being an aunt is second only to being a parent.

I drove 2.5 hours to Statesville, stayed there for 4 hours, then drove 2.5 hours home.  It was worth every minute in the car to be there that afternoon.

IMG_2060

3 comments:

Gma said...

From a 3 yr. old's perspective, what can be better than a weekend with his most favorite cousin, a monster cupcake, a great big playground, baby ducks and room to expend all the excited energy? Why a brand new two-wheeler of course! It was (is) his most favorite thing and you can bet his big old hug was heartfelt. Later that evening and totally unsolicited, he told me "G'ma, I had the best birthday ever. I love my new bike." Thank you Uncle Ryan and Tucker for assembling it and thanks Aunt Steph for accommodating the request for all the goodies, the bike, and most of all, for spending 5 hours in the car for a 4-hr. visit. We were so glad you made the trip. We love you!

Shannon said...

Owen said when he gets bigger and bigger he wants Aunt Steph to get him a big bike - referring to a motorcycle - so you may want to start saving your pennies. :)

So glad you came and thank you for all you did. Owen is still in love with his bike.

McMom said...

Did Shannon not get the memo to wear her striped top.... Looks like you had a great day!! McMom