Monday, April 8, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Banana Bars with Browned Butter Icing

We definitely need something sweet to get our week started, don’t you think?  I’m meeting you in the middle and sharing a recipe with fruit so you don’t have to feel too guilty if you make (and eat!) these.

We had a morning meeting at the office last week, and I had overripe bananas so it was a no-brainer to try a new recipe for banana bread/muffins/bars.

DSC_4861

(I apologize in advance for the especially bad pictures.  I snapped these really quick in the kitchen that night, which has never proved to be good for food photography.  But the bars were so yummy that I couldn’t NOT document them and share them with you guys.)

These were baked on a jelly roll sheet as opposed to in more typical 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 pan.  That means I had WAY more bars than the six people in my office could, or would, eat.

DSC_4864

Since these were for breakfast, I debated if I should do the icing or not.  I did, really!  Okay, not for very long.  I mean, it doesn’t take much to convince me to add frosting to something.

DSC_4863

I left the nuts out of these and instead added cinnamon chips as well as a teaspoon of cinnamon.  Baked banana goods need cinnamon.

DSC_4862

So what’s the verdict on these bars?  They were delicious!  The texture was perfect – not heavy or gummy, not dried out, just exactly right.

You should definitely make these.  You could always divide the recipe in half and make them in a more standard 9 x 13 pan so you don’t have quite as many.  I shared mine with the McHusband’s office as well as the doctor’s office in my building, and I got only good feedback.

And definitely DON’T leave the icing off.

DSC_4865

Happy Monday!

{Recipe adapted from here}

No comments: