Monday, April 22, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake

Happy Monday!  I’m at home today because the McHusband and I traveled to PA this weekend to celebrate my grandma’s 90th birthday.  If I’m able, and I usually am, I like to take off the Monday after being out of town to have some time to chill before going back to work.  You can check out some of my Instagram pics from the trip over there on the right.

The McHusband loves pineapple, and I have to say it’s one of my favorite foods as well.  I like it fresh, canned, baked, grilled, dried, in yogurt, in desserts, on pizza, and as juice in girlie drinks served with little paper umbrellas.  Did I leave anything out?

Anyway, I wanted to make something that I knew the McHusband would like and I was in the mood to bake a cake so this treat was a perfect choice.  The recipe I used doctored up a cake mix, and it made so much batter that I was able to make a full-sized Bundt bake and a smaller one.

DSC_4893

I didn’t use the glaze, and I reached out to the internet for the topping.  I liked that this one was simple but used dark brown sugar.

DSC_4899

The cake was dense, which was what I wanted.

DSC_4895

I don’t recall having pineapple upside-down cake before so I really can’t compare this one to anything, but I thought it was pretty good.  Considering it used actual pineapple and a pineapple cake mix, I was surprised that the pineapple flavor leaned more toward subtle than in-your-face.

DSC_4896

I have another recipe for an award-winning pineapple upside-down cake made from scratch that I want to try.  I’m looking forward to comparing it to my first attempt at this Southern dessert staple.  And of course you know I’ll report back on which one wins the throwdown.

DSC_4900

Hope your week is off to a good start!

No comments: