Wednesday, November 27, 2013

28 Weeks

OMG – this means I officially have two trimesters under my belt.  Literally.  Guess I better get cracking on preparing for the McBaby. 

How your baby's growing:

By this week, your baby weighs 2 1/4 pounds (about the size of a large eggplant) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink his eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in his brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

How mom is changing:

You're in the home stretch! The third and final trimester starts this week. If you're like most women, you'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester.

Speaking of weight… At my appointment on Monday, the scale reflected a 1.5-lb loss so I’m at a net gain of 14.5 pounds. That’s just a half-pound under what is normal (15 – 22 lbs) so my doctor said everything looked fine.

I had my glucose test on Monday and I gotta say, I didn’t mind the orange drink. It was overly sweet but that’s not something I normally complain about. My “score” was 100 (they want it to be under 140). They also tested my iron and it was 13.2 (they want it to be more than 11).

How I’m feeling: Same as last month. Some low back pain, but no heartburn or any other typical pregnancy ailments. I have noticed that my calves and feet sometimes want to cramp up during the night, but so far I’ve been able to avoid that by flexing and stretching.

Workouts: Still doing ‘em. I try to get in at least 4 good workouts every week, but 5 to 6 is better. This past weekend, I went to my PHX (Power Hour Extreme) class at the Y and it was a great class. Lots of plyometrics, but I was able to do pretty much everything without modifying. I went to a spin class on Sunday and felt good the whole time. Last night was boot camp. From this point forward, I’m going to play boot camp by ear and evaluate each week if I think I’m okay doing it.  I enjoyed last night’s workout and there was only one move where we were supposed to lay on our stomachs that I couldn’t do.  Boot camp seems to make my back hurt in the wee hours of the night and at some point, it’s not going to be worth the discomfort.

Food cravings/aversions: Nothing new here – I like carbs.

Sleep: I fall asleep so quickly that it makes me harbor some resentment against people who have ALWAYS fallen asleep so quickly. Man, I have been missing out for pretty much as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I’m still not sleeping through the night most of the time, but I rarely find that I can’t go back to sleep. Maybe once a week or every 10 days, I have a bad night where I hardly feel like I’ve even been asleep and it’s hard to fall back to sleep. Guess that habit’ll come in handy come February, huh?

Movement: Lots! And this weekend when we were at Terry and Vickie’s hanging out, the McBaby kicked or headbutted the right side of my rib cage so hard that it literally made me jump and gasp a little.

Belly button in or out: Still in, but I think she might have aspirations of being an outie before this is all said and done.

Rings on or off: On and fitting fine.

Maternity clothes: Yep! All maternity bottoms for the most part (regular workout bottoms) and most of my tops are maternity. I can wear a dress that’s non-maternity – thank goodness for fat clothes.

Recent fun or interesting things: We test-drove strollers and picked one out. I also started registries at Target and Buy Buy Baby.  And this past Monday, the McHusband and I went to an open house at a pediatrician’s office.  I was pretty sure we were going to use this office mainly because they are conveniently located, but I liked the doctors we met so that’s sort of a bonus.

New baby items: The McHusband brought a onesie back from Vegas, and I couldn’t resist a couple sleepers and one outfit from Target a few weeks back when I, uh, accidentally found myself in the baby department.

1126132136

So as of right now, I think the McBaby will be not naked for approximately one week. Guess we better start stocking up in the wardrobe department. My boot camp buddies at the Y went in on a Dipes & Wipes bag. It was so sweet of them to do that for me.

1126132137a

Miss anything?: Sleeping on my stomach. I think I actually miss that more than wine and Woodchuck this time around.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  We’re looking forward to seeing our families and spending some quality time with the kiddos.

No comments: