Sunday, June 7, 2009

An uninvited guest

(Leigh, I apologize in advance for the, uh, nature of this post.)

The McHusband and I had a few friends over for some Crispy Wicket and a cookout on Saturday. Just before everyone's due to arrive, the McHusband calls me out to the backyard to see a big snake. Of course, I grab the camera and head outside.

Yep, big snake.


It was just off the deck and was a good four feet long. I don't think he'd had dinner yet because he seemed a little cranky when the McHusband got close.


What's that? You can't quite tell how the snake's feeling?


How 'bout now?

We're pretty sure he was just a (relatively) harmless black snake and since we prefer those (at a distance) to rodents, we don't mind him sticking around, just not quite this close. The McHusband got the snake on a stick and dropped him over the fence.


Lizards in the cats' water bowl on the second floor, a rooster crowing at all hours, snakes in the backyard - I don't even want to think about what we'll run into next.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

EEWwwwwwww!!! Glad I wasn't there to see it in person. I wouldn't have come out of the house! hahaha

-Leigh

Gma said...

What a cool playtoy for Tucker!

Sara said...

Little Johnny would have totally taken him on! (and likely lost like the last snake that caught his curiosity)

Gina said...

I love how everyone always refers to snakes as "he"...coincidence? I think not!

McMom said...

Ryan has always loved his reptiles!! Looks like one of those darn King snakes to me... the kind that was in our tree all puffed up in the back ready to FLY through the air!! The one Abby was playing with.... Sorry I don't care how many rodents they eat... I don't care for them on my property!! McMom