Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Recipe Recap: Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

The night before we headed to Pennsylvania, I baked mini pumpkin muffins. {Pumpkin mini-muffins?}

Then I baked some more.

And, just for good measure, I baked a few more.

Apparently my recipe made waaaaaaay more batter than your typical mini-muffin recipe. Finally, it was getting late and I had things to do. Like, you know, pack my suitcase and get all the animals' stuff ready. I put the remaining batter into a bread pan and threw it in the oven for 45 minutes. Finally, I was able to leave the kitchen for more than five minutes and accomplish something. When your food only bakes for about 10 minutes, you can't venture far from the oven and risk getting engrossed in another task.

I used the Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread recipe from Allrecipes.com. I wanted to take some of the muffins to Bronwyn because she LOVES pumpkin stuff, and then I didn't want to show up at my aunt and uncle's house empty-handed (Well, empty of something to share; my hands were plenty full with my suitcase, pillow, and clip-on fan cuz, you know, PA might have an unexpected heat wave...in November.).

Mini-muffin batter as far as the eye could see...













And what do mini-muffin tins full of batter beget? Adorable mini-muffins, of course!













I used the same grease-and-sugar trick with the pumpkin bread that I used with the banana bread. It just gives the crust a nice little crunch.













If you like pumpkin, I suggest you give this recipe a try. I think the original recipe makes two loaves: one to eat right away, and one to freeze so you can think you're being good, but you know you'll just pull it out when there's only about a quarter of the first loaf remaining.

Oh yeah, you know who you are. Don't worry, you're in good company.

1 comment:

Gma said...

YUM.YUM.YUM