Thursday, December 15, 2011

Recipe Recap: Peanut Butter Cup-Stuffed Chocolate Cupcake with Peanut Butter Frosting

{Is it wrong that I’m typing this up as I watch the finale of The Biggest Loser?  Hey, at least I’m not EATING one of those cupcakes while I watch the weight-loss show.}

DSC_0318

I made these cupcakes using my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe and Annie’s peanut butter frosting.  If you check out the cupcake recipe – don’t be afraid of the coffee.  Embrace the espresso.  It totally enhances the chocolate flavor.  I don’t like coffee at all, and I can’t get enough of this batter where the coffee flavor is much stronger than in the finished product.

I decided to bake a miniature Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup into these cupcakes.  I froze those little bites of heaven then pushed them into the batter and covered them up.

DSC_0311

Quick aside: If you don’t have one of these Measure-All measuring cups, you should get one.  It makes measuring stuff like peanut butter, sour cream, and Cool Whip so much easier.

DSC_0314

Mine’s from Pampered Chef, but I’ve seen them at Bed Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrel.

Okay, back to the cupcakes.  I was disappointed that the frosting was so soft and didn’t hold its shape very well.  It tasted amazing, though, so I forgive it.

DSC_0320

I have to admit, I didn’t love the peanut butter cup in the middle.  I don’t know why exactly, but it just didn’t taste as good as I imagined it would.  I seemed to be in the minority as no one else voiced any complaints.

DSC_0324

DSC_0326

I wouldn’t say DON’T make these cupcakes, but instead of putting a Reese’s cup inside, maybe do Annie’s recipe with the peanut butter ball in the middle.  If you do, be sure to let me know how it turns out.

DSC_0322

Jenny and I are on the same wavelength this week.  She also made some peanut butter and chocolate treats so if that’s a combo that floats your boat (although too much of a good thing might sink that same boat…), check out her buckeyes.

I think I’m going to try some Eggnog Cheesecake Bars for the Women’s Night that my neighbor is hosting on Friday.  If the McHusband doesn’t drink the rest of the quart, I’ll look for something else eggnoggy to make to use it up so stay tuned for those treats.

Oh, and a Lean Cuisine inspired me to look for a Thai recipe, and I found one that I think we’ll try this weekend.  Fingers crossed that my homemade food is at least as good as the frozen-then-nuked meal that I had for lunch on Monday.  Whether it is or not, I’ll be reporting back.

1 comment:

The Vegetarian's Wife said...

Oh my gosh those look amazingly tasty.