Friday, January 13, 2012

A dilemma

Have you guys heard of Pinterest?  It’s apparently the best thing to happen to the internet since Facebook.  Here’s what the About page has to say about the site:

Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. Pinterest allows you to organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. You can browse pinboards created by other people to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.

People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and share their favorite recipes.

I’ve seen tons of references to it in the blogs I read, and of course the word “pinning” has a new meaning now.  My neighbor, Tawnya, sent me an email today and asked me if I’d drunk the Kool Aid yet so that I could join her in losing all my free time to the abyss known as Pinterest.  She’s only the second real live person (as opposed to those interweb peeps) I actually know who’s a member.

I knew you needed an invitation to join, and Tawnya was kind enough to extend one.  So I took a deep breath and decided to give over my mind, body, and email address.

But guess what?  Pinterest didn’t want me.  Apparently I don’t qualify because I don’t have a Facebook or Twitter account.  So now I have to decide how badly I want to be able to pin stuff.  Bad enough to finally cave and join Facebook?  I have to say, I’m leaning toward doing it…

What do you guys think?  Should I become a contributing member of society and put up a wall?  Or stand my ground and remain Facebook, and therefore Pinterest, free?

1 comment:

McMom said...

I vote for freedom from it all....you are busy enough and informed enough already. I can't. Remember what I was doing and ran across it ...sems it was in searching for houses? Fugettaboutit.... McMom