Monday, January 16, 2012

Recipe Recap: Sweet & Spicy Salmon

Salmon isn’t my favorite fish, but I know it’s really good for us so when I came across a simple recipe for doctoring the fish, I figured we could give it a try.

This recipe came from the most recent Taste of Home: Healthy Cooking magazine.  To go with the salmon, I made my go-to stovetop side dish: quinoa with black beans and corn (except with mushrooms instead of corn).

DSC_0390

{I apologize for poor picture quality.}

Thanks to the salsa, these were quite spicy.  But since the salmon was fairly thick and you got a decent forkful of meat with each bite, the heat wasn’t overwhelming.

DSC_0392

Would I make this again?  Yes.  Am I dying to do so?  Not really.  But it was easy and healthy and, well, I still have at least half a jar of that mango salsa left so…

Recipe:

Four 6-oz salmon fillets

1/2 t. garlic powder

1/2 t. cayenne pepper

3/4 c. mango salsa

  1. Place salmon skin-side down on a 15” x 10” baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with spices.  Spoon salsa over top.
  2. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Because the McHusband and I like our fish blasphemously well done, I think I cooked ours for more like 30 minutes.

If you’re a bigger fan of salmon than we are, and you like your fish to kick back a little, give this a try.

1 comment:

Sab said...

I heart salmon and quinoa! I am loving all your recipe posts.