Monday, February 20, 2012

Recipe Recap: Birthday Treats

Another funday Monday!  Actually, it is for me – my office is closed for President’s Day.  I’ve got chores on my to-do list today: sweep, vacuum, dust, blog, then go to my PHX class at the Y.

It only seems right to welcome the new week with some dessert.  What do you think, are you with me?

Sara threw a 30th birthday get-together for her husband, Cliff, a few weeks ago.  I of course saw the party as an opportunity to try out a couple new recipes and get feedback from the guinea pigs guests. 

I asked Sara if there were a particular flavor or medium that Cliff preferred, and she said he was generally fond of the classic combination of peanut butter and chocolate.  A man after my own heart.  I knew just what to make – Peanut Butter Mud Bars.

DSC_0650

I used white chocolate, milk chocolate, and peanut butter chips inside them, then I topped them with those mini Reese’s Pieces and more white chocolate and peanut butter chips.

DSC_0638

The chocolate layer under all those chips is a combination of milk chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.

DSC_0664

These were decadent.  We all know how well chocolate and peanut butter play together so there should be no doubt about the taste.  The blondie-ish texture was perfect and these couldn’t have been easier to throw together.  There’s no doubt that I’ll be making them again.

DSC_0649

I still had most of my box of Rice Krispies in the pantry so I decided to make a second treat.

DSC_0647

I remembered reading about Rice Krispie Treats that used some cake batter in them.  I didn’t know if Sara was going to have a cake or cupcakes, but I figured I could do something cake-ish and it’d be okay.

I’m thinking Rice Krispie Treats should always be made with sprinkles.  Aren’t they pretty?

DSC_0642

DSC_0652

People at the party weren’t picky.  The plate was empty long before the night was over. 

DSC_0647

(Sara took a picture and sent it to me, but I don’t have it on my laptop.  Check back in a day or two, I’ll add it. Good thing I saved one of each for pictures the next day.)

DSC_0657

{Recipe for Peanut Butter Mud Bars}

{Recipe for Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats}

1 comment:

Sara said...

Those peanut butter mud bars were SO delicious! I might even be motivated to make them one day and expand my dessert choices beyond the 3 I currently know how to make. Thanks again for bringing those!