Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Valentine Treats

I know you want to know what I had planned for the McHusband last Tuesday night but have patience.  Let’s see what he did for me first.

I’d seen this recipe and thought it would be a good one for the McHusband to whip up for our Valentine’s Day dinner.  We both had high hopes for the tilapia and I have to say, the fish didn’t live up to the expectations.  It was good but not great.  We both like my Parmesan & Panko Crusted Tilapia better.

I love that the McHusband took prep pics.

DSC_0763

DSC_0768

Quality control check.  Please excuse the gym hair.

DSC_0769

We had the fish with some 90-second rice and steamed cauliflower.  Not the most colorful meal, but haven’t you heard?  White veggies are really good for you.

DSC_0772

Thank you, McHusband.  Dinner was wonderful.  You earned your surprise.

Since it was something I hadn’t tried before, I really didn’t know if it would work out.  Turns out, I needn’t have worried.  The McHusband was excited by just the idea of it and it didn’t disappoint – we were both thoroughly satisfied.

Now get your minds out of the gutters and into my kitchen!  We’re making ice cream here.

I started out with white fudge covered Oreos.

DSC_0754

I chopped up 8 of them

DSC_0758

and threw them into a bowl with a 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk, some Andes Peppermint Pieces, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a couple teaspoons of peppermint extract.

DSC_0760

I used my mixer to whip 2 cups of heavy cream into stiff peaks and then I folded it into the Oreo mixture.  I poured everything into a Tupperware container and stuck it in the freezer.

When we finished dinner on Tuesday, I measured out half a cup of the ice cream for each of us.

DSC_0777

I put the ice cream in my smallest bowls so our servings wouldn’t seem as pitifully small as they actually were.  This ice cream packs quite a caloric punch.

DSC_0778

The chunks of cookies and little bits of peppermint were the perfect add-ins.

DSC_0775

I can’t wait to make another batch (or three) of ice cream using some other favorite flavors like peanut butter and caramel and marshmallow cream.  You know I’ll be reporting back on how those combos turn out.

Happy Birthday to Miss Olivia!  We went to her birthday party this past Saturday, more on that soon.

No comments: