Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Recipe Recap: Peppermint Bark Rice Krispie Treats

As soon as I saw these in my Reader, I knew I had to keep an eye out for peppermint marshmallows on my Walmart shelves.  If you didn’t know already, the McHusband loves peppermint so I couldn’t pass on the chance to make something with his name written all over it.  Sure, these marshmallows were out at Christmastime and I just got around to making the treats last weekend.  I said I couldn’t PASS up the chance, I didn’t say I was going to JUMP on the chance.

DSC_0530

Instead of crushed candy canes, I used the Andes peppermint chips that I had languishing in my pantry.

DSC_0573

The marshmallows aren’t super peppermint-y so I added maybe a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the melted marshmallows, and I also added a few drops to the dark chocolate.

DSC_0567

I still have half the bag of peppermint marshmallows left.  I think there’s one other recipe using them in my Reader but if I’m not feeling that one, I’d definitely make these again.  They were easy to throw together and they weren’t too committed to the peppermint flavor.  Mostly they were just sweet and did a great job of hitting the spot when you needed something after dinner.  Or before dinner.  Or just because they were sitting on the counter when you passed by.

DSC_0566

I don’t know about you, but I think all Rice Krispie Treats should have a drizzle of at least one chocolate on them.  Two chocolates plus some extra flavored chips of some sort?  Sign me up!

DSC_0569

There’ll be something other than food tomorrow so make sure you check back and see what’s going on outside the McKitchen.

{Recipe here}

No comments: