Friday, February 24, 2012

Recipe Recap: Lasagna/Lasagne with Turkey, Pesto and Peppers

Either way you spell it, this lasagna (I like it with an “a”) was very good.  I’m a big fan of basil pesto and I never met a bell pepper I didn’t like.  Green, roasted, food-processed into hummus – I like ‘em any which way I can get ‘em.

I don’t know that I’ve ever made a traditional lasagna.  I’ve made some lasagna roll-ups with spinach and Alfredo sauce that were very good, but a traditional lasagna with layers of noodles and marinara sauce?  That was uncharted territory.

One complaint I’ve tended to have about homemade lasagna is that it can be watery.  I don’t know if that’s because people don’t drain their noodles enough or what, but I don’t like it.  Dara, a.k.a. the Cookin’ Canuck, spelled out the secret in her recipe: boil the noodles, drain them, then lay them out to dry.  It’s not rocket science, but sometimes you just need someone to point out the obvious, you know?

DSC_0671

Anyone else ever wonder if lasagna noodles HAVE to have those ruffly edges?

DSC_0672

This lasagna took about an hour for me to put together then it was in the oven for an hour so it’s something you need to plan to make as oppose to deciding at the last minute that you want to have this for dinner.  The process wasn’t difficult, there were just a number of steps prior to assembling everything and getting it in the oven.

My lasagna straight out of the oven.  Mmm, I could really go for a piece – slab? – of this right now.

DSC_0673

See Dara’s post with the recipe for all her wonderful pictures.  Any photos I would’ve taken without daylight just wouldn’t have done this justice.  Who am I kidding, I’m sure my pictures couldn’t compare to hers even with sunshine.

I entered this recipe into My Fitness Pal and if I divided it into 12 servings, each one was about 335 calories.  I think the McHusband and I each had a serving and a half for dinner, but we didn’t have any of the usual Italian-food sides like bread or a salad.

All in all, I give this lasagna two enthusiastic thumbs up.  When I recover from making it the first time, I’m definitely going to make it again.  If you like lasagna and bell peppers and you want to eat a pasta casserole without guilt, give this a try.

TGIF!  My office was closed on Monday for President’s Day, but I swear this has felt as long as a six-day work week.  I’m not sure why except that each day has been pretty long.  But the weekend’s right around the corner, and I’m ready to enjoy some downtime.

And a couple or three Captain and (diet) Cokes. Rolling on the floor laughing

Hope you guys enjoy your two days’ freedom from the grind!

{Recipe Here}

No comments: