Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Birthday Fiesta: The food

I’m playing a little more catch-up tonight on June events.  The weekend after skydiving, I made a day trip to Charlotte to celebrate Lyla and Maxie’s birthdays.

DSC_0713

Bri and Nate threw a combo birthday fiesta for Lyla’s fourth and Maxie’s first birthday.

DSC_0712

My mom made the wreath.  Isn’t the little pennant adorable?

DSC_0714

Bri customized gift bags for all the kids.

DSC_0736DSC_0737

Besides the guests of honor, you know the most important part of any party in my mind is the food.

DSC_0718

Bri had the party catered by Salsaritas, but she, Mom, and I did the sweets.

DSC_0722

There were Rice Krispie Treats, chocolate mustaches, my cupcakes and Special K bars, and some Rummy Bears (no, that’s not a typo).

DSC_0721

DSC_0726

The Rummy Bears were gummy bears soaked in sangria.  They were yummy, and I can’t wait to try other liquors.

Bri asked me to make cupcakes for the party and you know me, I can’t resist any excuse to make a second treat for the guinea pigs guests. 

DSC_0727

These Nutter Butter Special K Bars were pretty good, but what I think took them over the top was this frosting that I decided to use on them.  I can’t wait to actually put it on some brownies.

DSC_0728

Nate loves “my” chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream so I made a batch of those plus some sugar cookie cupcakes with Creamsicle frosting, which I thought sounded fairly kid friendly and definitely festive looking.

DSC_0729

I added half a candy orange to the top of each cupcake to show people what flavor they were.

DSC_0730

Bri made a double batch of the sangria that’s been a hit from Florida to NC.

DSC_0733

And Sam manned the quesadilla maker.  She’s due with her first baby, a boy, on August 4th.

DSC_0745 

Oh yeah, would you like a quick look at the birthday girls?  Lyla looked super cute in her ruffly bikini.

DSC_0717

And Maxie has a smile that just totally lights up her face.  Notice how her dress matches the table covering?  My mom made the dress.

DSC_0750

Well, I was trying to get the fiesta wrapped up in one post, but it’s getting close to my bedtime, and I want to do all the people and my mom’s and Bri’s efforts justice so the birthday blowout will continue on the other side of the holiday.

No comments: