Monday, July 30, 2012

{Recipe Recap} Mustang Week Snacks

It’s Monday.  Again.  Is it too early to be counting down to the long Labor Day weekend?

Let’s see, what did I do this weekend?  I baked (no surprise there), celebrated two birthdays (fun!), did a little cleaning (it’s just a fact of life), and finished a 14-mile training run (“finished” because there was some walking so I didn’t run the whole thing).  The McHusband kept himself very busy, and extremely sweaty, with lots of yard work: reassembling the fence gate, cleaning up yard debris from the storm, mowing, and spreading mulch.

But enough about THIS weekend.  Let’s go back to last weekend when the McHusband went to Myrtle Beach for his annual boys’ trip.  I couldn’t send him away without something, or three somethings, to snack on while he was gone.

DSC_1069

The spicy pretzels are a staple now, I think.  The thing about those is, not only are they quite tasty, but they go well with beer.

I thought the Pretzel Bottom Snickers Blondies would be a good middle-of-the-road sweet treat for the guys.  Not overly chocolatey and with some crunch from the pretzels, plus you have the pairing of the sweet and salty, which is always a good combination in my book.

(That’s them on the far left stacked underneath the star attraction, the Goody Goody Bars.)

DSC_1068

Okay, so the Goody Goody Bars.  They weren’t just good, they were addicting, delicious, and memorable.  That may’ve had something to do with me topping them with that fabulous fudge frosting that I’m putting on everything these days.

The base of these bars is Frosted Flakes and peanuts covered in a brown sugar-corn syrup-peanut butter mixture, which sounded pretty tasty by itself.  But I knew I could take it to a higher level.

DSC_1070

Rick was at our house the night before he and the McHusband left for the beach.  I was cutting up the treats and let the boys have some samples.  They had the blondies first and then the Goody Goody Bars.  Rick summed it up best, saying something like, “The blondies aren’t bad, they just can’t compare to the other bars.”

If you’re looking for something easy to make that will have people oohing and ahhing over every bite, whip up some Goody Goody Bars.

One snack and two desserts for your Monday.  I think this could be some foreshadowing of the week ahead because I have a number of treats to share.  Good thing reading about food and looking at pictures of it is calorie free.

(The McHusband would like me to wrap up this post with a quick directive, which I’ve edited to get a PG rating, regarding the Goody Goody Bars: “These bars are effin’ good.  Make ‘em.”)


{Spicy Pretzels}

{Pretzel Bottom Snickers Blondies}

{Goody Goody Bars}

{Fudge Frosting}

No comments: