Friday, July 6, 2012

Food on the Fourth

So I mentioned that we ate turkey burgers on Wednesday.  I’d seen this recipe via a daily email that Allrecipes is kind enough to send me, and Chelle had mentioned it a while back, saying they’d tried it and though it was pretty good.

July 4th = hamburgers, right?  Even though we weren’t going to a cookout or hosting one, we figured we still deserved to eat some patriotic fare.

DSC_1023

The recipe included a “condiment” made from avocado, sour cream (I used Greek yogurt), and chili powder.  It wasn’t especially flavorful on its own, but it paired well with the burgers.

DSC_1022

We had steamed cauliflower and leftover lentils, also from Allrecipes, as our sides.  We’re big fans of the former, and the latter’s a new favorite that I will make again and that I would certainly recommend if this flavor combo appeals to you.

DSC_1021

So those were two recent successful recipes.  I made some cookies last night that looked like a complete failure but tasted like a winner.

DSC_1025

Since I don’t know much about the actual science behind baking, I don’t know what went wrong.  My first thought is that the dough should be chilled before it’s baked.  So after two batches turned out flat and falling apart, I put the rest of the dough in the fridge and I’ll try again tomorrow.

DSC_1026

Just like with the blueberry muffin bread, I have plans for how to salvage these two batches of cookies.  I’ll let you know if it works out.  Keep your fingers crossed for me and my guinea pigs.

DSC_1027

It sure was nice to break this week up by having Wednesday off, but I’m still looking forward to the weekend.  We’re kicking it off with fireworks at a friend’s house tonight so that should be fun.

Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

No comments: