Monday, October 1, 2012

{Weekend Recap}

How is it October already?  I feel like the McHusband was just gone for his annual Mustang Week trip with the boys at the end of July.  Now we’re closer to Christmas than to Easter.

Nothing exciting to report from our Friday night – we stayed in with some grilled salmon and yam patties, and I went to bed at 11:00 in preparation for my 5:30 a.m. wake-up call on Saturday.

Yep, up at 5:30, out of the house at 5:55, and runnin’ in the rain by 6:45.  I joined my friend Jari with her Galloway running group for a 23-mile training run.  The idea behind the Galloway style of running is to utilize a walk-run pattern – 4 minutes of running, 1 minute of walking and repeat – for however many miles you’re covering.  I have to say, it was much more enjoyable than running at a 9-minute pace, mile after mile for 18 and 20 miles.

The temperature was good, and while it was raining, sometimes practically pouring, the air was more than breathable.  The group sets up water stations with snacks along the running routes so I was able to refill my water bottles and munch on a third of a banana, a quarter of an orange, a couple pretzel twists, and even a Tootsie Roll (okay, maybe two Tootsie Rolls) along the way.

(On a related note: Heather, for my next 8-miler through your neighborhood, could you have a cooler of water and some snacks waiting for me when I pass by your house?  Thankyouverymuch. Smile)

All in all, it wasn’t an awful experience.  And that’s saying a lot considering I covered 23 miles on foot without music (one of the group rules) and in the rain.  I was tired and hungry and sore at the end, but I wasn’t in pain.  Hallelujah!

I got home just before noon and had lunch (chicken sausages grilled by my wonderful McHusband), held the couch down for a bit, then showered and took a really good nap.  The McHusband and I had a double date with Chelle and Jeremy that night – dinner at Tyler’s Taproom then we saw Looper, which we all liked.

Sunday was a day of honey-do’s: Laundry, crowd surfing grocery shopping at Walmart, vacuuming and mopping.  I decided to give my quads a break and skipped spinning, but I still squeezed in the Cardio X (of P90X) DVD.

While all those chores and cardio were happening, I was also cooking dinner.  Gotta love the crockpot!  I didn’t take any pictures because, frankly, it didn’t look super appetizing and I knew it wouldn’t photograph well.  I made Thai Pork with Peppers and the McHusband and I really enjoyed it.  Instead of traditional rice or noodles or even quinoa, I made cauliflower “rice.”  The McHusband chopped the cauliflower into bite-sized pieces, then I chopped it into rice-sized pieces in my food processor.  Into the microwave for three-and-a-half minutes and voila – “rice!”  We will definitely be making that again.

Sorry for all the words and lack of pictures.  I’ll try to be less verbose in the next couple of posts.

Hope your Monday’s off to a good start!

No comments: