Monday, December 10, 2012

{Recipe Recap} Chocolate & Salted Caramel Tart

Here’s your spoonful of sugar to help you get through the first day of the work week.

DSC_2714

This tart had three parts: a shortbread crust, a salted caramel layer, and a chocolate ganache.  See?

DSC_2715

I didn’t use the crust recipe that came with the tart.  Instead, I used this one that seemed a little easier, and I figured the touch of peanut butter would go very well with chocolate and caramel.

DSC_2716

I had to make the caramel from scratch, which I was a little nervous about but it really wasn’t difficult and it was totally worth the leap of faith.  I mean, I could’ve used just an ice cream topping as my caramel layer, but where’s the fun in that?

DSC_2701

I used the Lindt Sweet Dark chocolate bar (three and a quarter bars actually) for the ganache.

DSC_2699

So what did those three layers add up to?  One very rich dessert.

DSC_2713

DSC_2712

This dessert is customizable depending on your chocolate preference.  If you’d rather have a lighter chocolate flavor, use milk chocolate for the ganache.  If you love a graham cracker crust, make that instead.

DSC_2709

I made this for the potluck-style holiday party we attended for the McHusband’s office.  I also made a peppermint cookie dough ball, which I served with Nabisco chocolate wafers, and my version of a white wine-cranberry-gin sangria, which I made with pinot grigio, cranberry juice, strawberry rum, and grenadine.  It was quite good and I’ll make it again.

So other than food for the party and the party, there was some Christmas shopping, boot camp, laundry, spinning, and a delicious Sunday-night dinner featuring grilled salmon, 90-second rice, and roasted cauliflower.  All in all, it was a very nice weekend.

Happy Monday!

{Recipe here}

No comments: