Friday, December 28, 2012

White Elephant party

Okay so before Christmas is just a good memory, let me show you how we first got our holiday spirit on.

DSC_2569

The McHusband and I hosted a White Elephant party on December 1st.  We had Heather and Bruce, Terry and Vickie, Eric, Chelle and Jeremy, and Shawn and Vanessa over.

DSC_2573 

I did things potluck-style so I made a treat or three as well as the bacon-wrapped smokies.

DSC_2554

I made chocolate cupcakes with Biscoff buttercream. 

DSC_2555

Chelle has requested that these make an appearance in January for her birthday.

DSC_2564

I also made Five-Layer Peppermint Bars based on this recipe.  My layers were: Oreo cookie crust, sweetened condensed milk, mini peppermint marshmallows, Andes peppermint chips, and white chocolate chips.

DSC_2563

And last but not least, these Frosted Eggnog Spice Bars with Biscoff Streusel.  The recipe actually called for a gingerbread cookie streusel, but I was on a Biscoff kick.

DSC_2558

DSC_2559

Okay, enough about the food.  We had so much fun opening our gifts.  Bruce went first.

DSC_2583

As you can see, he was thrilled to find a wine stopper kit and an “I Love My Labrador” coffee cup.

DSC_2585

Next up: Vanessa.  Lucky girl, she got a clock for her garage.

DSC_2590

Heather was third.  She chose the gift that I contributed: Christmas dish towels and a candy bar.

DSC_2596

The McHusband reached down and broke the candy bar through the wrapper, which Heather did not appreciate.

DSC_2598

When it was the McHusband’s turn, he chose his own gift – a pack of microfiber wash and wax towels and some air fresheners.  What a party pooper.

DSC_2604

But he didn’t get to keep it – Terry stole it from him.  So his next gift was an oversized martini shaker thing.

DSC_2609

Shawn opened up his gift to find sandwich coasters.

DSC_2612

DSC_2614

Vickie was next and she stole Heather’s gift.

DSC_2616

So Heather got to go again.  She opened up the true gag gift of the night and I’m just going to have to let your imaginations run wild on this one.  I need to maintain my blog’s PG-13 rating.

DSC_2621

Jeremy got a pink airsoft gun.

DSC_2637

But Heather and I can attest to it being anything but soft.  The McHusband shot us both and it did NOT feel good.

Chelle stole Bruce’s wine thingie and Labrador cup.

DSC_2638

So Bruce got to go again and he ended up with the wine Solo cup that Vickie brought to the party.

DSC_2640

No pictures of me and my gift, but I got a bottle of Riesling so I was a happy camper.

It was funny that Terry and Vickie went home with both sets of towels, and that they both had to steal them from other people.

DSC_2647

And it wouldn’t be one of my party posts without an assortment of random pictures so here goes.

DSC_2657

DSC_2665

DSC_2670

I love the variety of faces in this picture.  Hard to believe they were all talking to the McHusband.

DSC_2678

DSC_2679

I have to include one more butt shot since it reveals Chelle’s gangster tendencies.

DSC_2692

That was a fun night and it was a great way to kick off the Christmas season.  I might have to make it an annual thing…

No comments: