Friday, May 3, 2013

{Recipe Recap} My birthday cakes. Yes, cakes.

Heather offered, as she did last year, to make my birthday treat.  I requested this Heath Bar Cake, which had been on my radar for at least a year.  The blogger raved about it and it was so simple, almost too good to be true.

DSC_5601

This cake was good, but I don’t think it lived up to the blogger’s praise.  Maybe it was, in fact, too simple to be true?  And this has absolutely nothing to do with Heather’s baking.  She followed a recipe of my choosing and did so just fine.  As I know all too well, you get what you get out of a recipe.

I told her I’d also be making something since I wanted to use my birthday as an excuse to make a treat just for me.

DSC_5593

Let’s take a peek inside.

DSC_5584

You are seeing: Three chocolate cakes cut in half.  Toasted marshmallow buttercream filling.  Chocolate malted frosting.

DSC_5597

Back to those toasted marshmallows for a second.  When I roast marshmallows over a fire, I like to get them all gooey, then I leave them in the fire to get charred.  But I may be changing that in the future because these toasted marshmallows from the oven were just delicious.  I may have toasted a couple extra just for quality control purposes…

DSC_5580

I had a hard time cutting each cake layer perfectly in half.  If you look at the cake from the right angle…

DSC_5590

But luckily being crooked didn’t make it any less tasty.  I mean, how could all that chocolate and marshmallow NOT be scrumptious?  {The toothpicks were for keeping the foil off the frosting since the cake was too tall for my cake cover.  See Instagram proof over on the right.}

DSC_5599

Luckily I had the extra frosting so I could add the decorative piping to the top.  I mean, you really can’t go wrong putting even more frosting on, right?

DSC_5592

Verdict?  This cake didn’t blow my mind like I thought it would.  Don’t get me wrong, it was good, just not something that I’m going to remember forever.  (Not for the taste anyway, but maybe for all the time I spent making it.)  However, both the marshmallow filling and the frosting were to die for on their own.  I want to use them both again, but I’m not sure if I’ll use them together or separate.  Either way, you know I’ll be reporting back.

DSC_5598

Thank you, Heather, for making that lovely toffee cake.  I liked it and am so glad I finally got to try it.  Now it’s time to find another recipe to obsess about for the next year.

DSC_5589

TGIF!

{Heath Bar Cake}

{Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Frosting and Malted Chocolate Frosting}

1 comment:

McMom said...

All sounds yummy....FYI ..no charred marshmallows for me..those done in the oven were just perfect! Helpful hint on cutting layers...pull a length of wire through it..a cooking shop might even have such..I had one for pottery....see my e mail with link....McMom