Tuesday, May 21, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Strawberry Pie Sour Cream Bars

Did you know that today is Strawberries and Cream Day?  No?  Jeez, how could that possibly not make your radar?  Well, here’s a list of American Food Holidays for future reference so you aren’t caught unaware again.  You’re welcome.

I made the original recipe last week for my HOA meeting.  The McHusband and some of my coworkers thought they were pretty terrific.

DSC_5748

I had the rest of the can of pie filling in my fridge so I made them again on Saturday, but I used all of the crust on the bottom and added a cinnamon streusel on top.

DSC_5751

I loved how easy these were to throw together.  I always like when recipes call for melted rather than softened butter, and I only used one mixing bowl: I made the crust, pressed it into my pan, then used that same mixing bowl to make the filling.

I also used a teaspoon of almond extract instead of vanilla in the crust.  SUCH a good idea.  If you do want to make these, go with the almond instead of the vanilla – it adds so much to the bars.

DSC_5753

You could use pretty much any pie filling you want in these bars.  I want to try them with apple.  And peach.  And cherry.

DSC_5750

The McHusband keeps saying they’d be good heated up with ice cream on them.  I agree, but I’d rather forgo the ice cream and have a good-sized portion of these for breakfast.

DSC_5749

Don’t wait until National Strawberries and Cream Day next year to make these.  Other than the pie filling, you probably have everything you need to make them.

DSC_5754

Are you having company for the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend?  Make these bars for your guests for breakfast on Saturday, then top the leftovers (if there are any) with ice cream that night.

DSC_5747

{Recipe adapted from here}

1 comment:

McMom said...

I can attest to the fact that she is NOT exaggerating one bit...they were yummy...even hard and cold from the freezer! McMom