Wednesday, May 8, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Turkey Tamale Potpie

I didn’t want to share this with you until I’d had it left over because I figure most of you reading about this dish who might make it will be like us and have enough left for a few more meals via microwave.  Lucky for you, I nuked it for lunch on Monday and it passed muster.

DSC_5633

I made it on Sunday in honor of Cinco de Mayo. I would’ve rather had bottomless chips and salsa and washed those down with muchas margaritas, but I didn’t want the side order of guilt that’d come with those.  So Turkey Tamale Potpie it was.

DSC_5631

I confess that I did take a shortcut.  Instead of making the cornbread topping from scratch, I just used a box of Jiffy cornbread mix to which I added some cumin and chili powder.

I read through the reviews and noted that the main complaint seemed to be that the meat and bean mixture didn’t have enough flavor.  So I added a chopped jalapeno, some cumin, garlic powder, and a few shakes of Cholula Chile Garlic hot sauce. (Side note: If you haven’t tried this stuff yet and you’re a fan of hot sauces like this and Sriracha, look for it.  I found my bottle at Target.)

I think my additions helped, but they still didn’t knock the flavor out of the park.  Next time, I’d just make it with a packet of taco seasoning.

DSC_5632

However, overall, this meal was a winner.  The serving size was big enough to satisfy, it did taste plenty good, and it reheated quite nicely.

I’ve got an HOA meeting tonight so no promises on a post tomorrow.  I might just need some quality couch potato time once I get home, shower, and get ready for tomorrow.

{Recipe adapted from here}

No comments: