Friday, January 31, 2014

37 weeks

How your baby's growing:  Your due date is very close now, but doctors don't consider your baby "full term" until 39 weeks. Spending the next two weeks in the womb allows your baby's brain and lungs to fully mature.

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (about the size of a bunch of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

How mom is changing:  Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable.  It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though her quarters are getting cozy, she should still be as active as before.

37w3d

Most recent doctor’s appointment: The McHusband and I braved the bad road conditions  (see Instagram pic on the right) to make it to my appointment on Wednesday.  My weight was down about a pound and a half, which may have more to do with my choice of footwear this week.  I wore flats compared to last week’s black knee-high, heeled boots.  So if anything, I’d guess maybe my weight just stayed the same.  Otherwise, no change from last week.  Still a little dilated but no other signs of labor (thank goodness!).

How I’m feeling: Pretty good considering I’m at the end and it seems like most women are begging their babies to make their debuts.  I, on the other hand, am pleading with the McBaby to stay in a little while longer.  I need every day I can get to finish his room and just generally prepare myself for having a baby, by which I mean actually giving birth and then taking him home.

Workouts: Still exercising as much as I can, but that plan was thwarted by the weather this week.

Food cravings/aversions: I wish I were craving fruits and veggies, but I really just want chips, cookies, and candy.

Sleep: Better. I’m falling asleep more easily and not waking up as much.  The difference this past week, though, is that I’m waking up for a good reason: I have to go to the bathroom.  I guess the baby being bigger is affecting my bladder.

Movement: The McBaby’s still moving around a lot.  I can count on him having a dance party pretty much every morning between 9 and 10 or so, and he also tends to get the hiccups then.

Belly button in or out: Still just a half-outie with the top sticking out a little.

37w3d belly button

Rings on or off: On and fitting fine.

Recent fun or interesting things: I don’t know if it was fun exactly, but I washed baby clothes this weekend so I’ve got at least one drawerful of outfits for the McBaby.  I’m trying not to have a ton of newborn clothes as I know he’ll just outgrow them in the blink of an eye so I guess I’ll just be doing lots of laundry the first few weeks.

New baby items: Some necessities like a thermometer and a carseat cover to keep the McBaby warm during outings.  We also got our second carseat base so the McHusband and I will each have one in our car.  I hope to have those installed this weekend.

Miss anything?: Same stuff plus easily reaching my feet to put my shoes on.  This belly gets in the way!

37w3d close

TGIF!!!

No comments: