Monday, January 13, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Strawberry Cake Bars

It’s Monday, and you know what that means!  Five loooong days til the weekend. Sad smile  Okay, that and treats, of course.  The McHusband and I worked hard this weekend with cleaning and getting stuff done in the nursery and while the room won’t be DONE by my shower this upcoming Saturday, it’ll be far enough along to see how it’ll all come together in the end.  So long as we get on the ball and have it done by mid-February…

My friend Kim had a gathering/sleepover this past Friday.  She’s just moved into a fabulous new house so we christened it with pizza and wine and hard cider (and just water for some of us) and, of course, treats.  There were cookies and brownies, and I made Puppy Chow and these cake bars.

DSC_9289

The original recipe called for lemon cake mix, and I will try that sometime, but I had strawberry cake mix and I figured the color was appropriate for a girls-only get-together.

DSC_9292

These bars were very tasty so long as you are a fan of cake mix, which I happen to be.  They weren’t too gooey; they were just the right amount of crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.  And not at all cakey, just how a bar should be.

DSC_9291

The McHusband took some leftovers to his poker game on Saturday night and while I wasn’t sure if the guys would shy away from pink bars, he didn’t bring any home so it would appear they dug right in.

These were easy to throw together, required minimal ingredients that are pretty much pantry staples, and they tasted great.  Everyone should hold onto this recipe for when you need a last-minute dessert.  You just never know when a treat emergency might pop up.

DSC_9290

{Recipe adapted from here}

1 comment:

Sara said...

I agree, these were fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us.