Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Boot Camp a.k.a. Paying to be tortured for an hour while people watch

The McHusband’s company’s receptionist asked me if I wanted to join her and some friends at the park by our old house for Boot Camp a couple days a week for the month of September, starting yesterday.

Is it too late to say no?

We had our first session yesterday and it was tough. How tough? The instructor ended early because she “want[s] us to come back on Thursday.”

There were just four of us – the receptionist and her friend plus Chelle and me. I think a couple other ladies will be joining us on Thursday so it’ll be a good-sized group. Chelle gets a week to recover because she’s heading to the beach tomorrow. Of course, that just means she’s going to be super sore again next week after Tuesday’s session.

The rest of us will probably still be in pain from Thursday so we’ll barely notice the difference.

Boot Camp starts at 6:00 (p.m - I'm not a complete masochist), but I got there with time to spare so I jogged through the old ‘hood and past our old house. It looked…fine, but a little neglected. At least the grass wasn’t a foot tall like it’s been the past three times we’ve driven by since we moved. I had a bird bath and flowers in between two trees and now all that’s growing is a weed. Oh, they also keep their garbage and recycling containers on the pad (you can just see the edge of it in this picture) that the McHusband built next to the driveway so that they’re basically in the front yard. I can’t believe they haven’t gotten a letter from the HOA.

Anyway, enough boo-hooing over the old house. I have a beautiful new house now. More boo-hooing over boot camp.

At one point, we were doing push-ups on a bench and then sprinting up and down a hill before doing more push-ups. I said to Chelle, “I feel like I’m on The Biggest Loser,” and she said, “Me too, and I don’t even watch that show!”

Biggest Loser contestants: I’m sooooo sorry. In a show of solidarity, I’ll never eat popcorn and drink wine spritzers again while I watch the show.

It's getting to be that time of year when I'm not as interested in the gym and working out - I wish I could say it's because bathing suit season is just about over, but since I didn't don my suit even once this summer... I think as long as I can go straight to the Y from work like I've been doing, I'll be okay.

I'm hoping that doing Boot Camp this month will, at the very least, keep me motivated and, at the most, help me drop a few pounds and tone up a little.

1 comment:

G'ma said...

OMG are you crazy, or what? I've heard these classes are torture!
And you preempted it by jogging over to the old house? Yup, I'd say you were (are) crazy for sure. Keep this up and not only will you fit back in to your pre-wedding clothes, but I'll bet you'll be putting on a bathing suit again and feeling comfortable in it.