Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh and two

One weekend, two Beantown Baker recipes...zero all-out successes. Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed.

I made Crockpot Kielbasa and Sauerkraut today. I carmelized the onions:


Cut up the meat:


And dumped two cans of sauerkraut in the crockpot:


I added the meat, onions, and liquid and set the crockpot to high.


I let it cook all day, stirring occasionally to make sure all the meat and sauerkraut was mixed with the liquid. I used one of the empty cans as my spoonrest and was taken aback by sauerkraut's nutritional value.


I knew that sauerkraut was basically cabbage and I'm aware of a cabbage soup diet so I guess I really shouldn't have been too surprised. But really - no calories at all? I may have to make sauerkraut a staple.

But back to our meal. How'd it turn out?

{Shoulder shrug.} Eh. It was okay.


I don't think it's a recipe I'll be keeping. Guess I'll have to find some other way to cook sauerkraut if I'm going to be eating it on a regular basis.

Hmm, is there such a thing as a sauerkraut cake?

2 comments:

Gma said...

Ya win some, ya lose some. Look at the bright side, you weren't slaving away cutting and chopping and having oodles of pans to wash up!

Think I'll stick with my tried and true kielbasa and potatoes (unless of course, you discover something better).

The truffles look yummy - can't imagine peanut butter and chocolate NOT tasting good!

McMom said...

Hmmm -- guess the can label shouldn't be that surprising, but it is certainly not something you see everyday! I think all you needed was a little Maurice's mustard based BBQ sauce on it --- THAT is really tasty. What you did was basically what I have fixed for years; in a pan on the stove for about an hour. Sorry it wasn't as expected - some things just aren't.........McMom