Friday, April 27, 2012

Fun in Florida {Part II}

Saturday dawned overcast and windy.  I was good and went for my run and it felt a little better than the day before because the sun wasn’t shining incessantly as it tends to do in Florida.

Because the weather was so iffy, we decided to spend the day shopping for a new bathing suite for Jenny at one of the local surf shops (think Myrtle Beach’s Wings stores) then we headed to the mall for lunch and wandering through stores that we all have in our hometowns.  But somehow they seemed more special because they were in Florida.

The dinner plan for Saturday night involved grilled chicken and Steamfresh veggies.  Tonya shopped for dinner and got the chicken marinating then Robin pounded the chicken so all the pieces were about the same thickness.

IMG_3314 

Here’s a cooking tip for you: pound BEFORE you marinate.

IMG_3315

(To those of you who know my sister Shannon: The McHusband said, “She looks like Shannon.”  I didn’t see it when I was in Florida, but I do see some resemblance in this picture.  Mom, Shannon, Bri – any of you agree?)

While Robin made a mess got our dinner ready, Jenny and I walked on the beach.

IMG_3317

IMG_3321

Our building had these benches outside it that I know Jenny’ s mom took advantage of, but I’m not sure I saw anyone else on them.

IMG_3326

While the chicken was on the grill, Jenny taught us how to play a rummy game that I think was Rummikub, but I can’t remember for sure.  Maybe it’s because I had a couple of these while we learned the ropes.

IMG_3328

Jenny was a very animated teacher.

IMG_3331

IMG_3332

We only got through one round before the chicken was ready.  In Rummikub (if that was in fact what we were playing), you have to have tiles either in a run or a set (or a combo of those) that equal at least 25 in order to lay any tiles down and start actively participating in the game.

I never got up to 25 so I was more of a bystander than an actual player.

IMG_3329

We decided to watch a movie that night so after dinner, we walked up to the Winn Dixie to pick up Contagion, which we’d reserved through Red Box.

IMG_3334

We ended up watching the movie on my laptop because something was wrong with the condo’s DVD player.  I wish I’d gotten a picture of Jenny, Kate, Robin and me crammed together on the couch watching the movie on my laptop.  Good thing we all like each other!

Just one day in Florida left.  Two words: Candy Kitchen.

1 comment:

Mcmom said...

Does look like you girls were getting along fine and having fun...like girls do. Yes, I too thought Robin looked like Shannon in the photos. McMom