Thursday, April 12, 2012

A guest post

Please welcome the McHusband to his first post here in McMania.  I figured if I wanted to do justice to our new ride, I needed to put the McHusband in charge.  Plus, him doing a post gives me the night off, and I could use that this week.

Take it away, McHusband!

Steph asked if I would like to be a “guest blogger” on her McMania blog and introduce our newest member of the family… how could I turn such an opportunity down?! Now the reason for this is probably already apparent, but this “family member” is an automobile. I’m not quite sure why she wants me to write about it because I was specifically told not to get into the nitty-gritty details about how much power it has, what size tires are on it, how quickly it does 0-60mph (around 4.6 seconds if you must know) or any of the other fun facts about this vehicle but… I’ll give it my best shot to cover the details I think she wants me to cover.

DSC_0225

First and foremost this is a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (that last part is the most important). The “SRT8” designation means it has 420 HP, full-time AWD, a sport tuned suspension, upgraded interior, different body cladding, amongst other things. Long story short is that I’ve wanted one of these bad boys since I rode in and drove a buddy’s back in 2006 when they first came out. Well, a few months back I decided to do something I haven’t done in more than 10 years: go Mustang-less. I decided I wanted to sell both my ’95 Cobra and my daily-driver, a Mazda6 wagon, and combine my commuter and my fun car into one.

DSC_0196

The short version is this beauty popped up in Kernersville, NC about a month ago. I had been looking all over the country and hadn’t come across the combination of things I wanted yet (color, price, mileage, options). After some required stealership negotiating games, I was finally able to work something out with them last Saturday and now the beautiful beast you see below sits in our garage.

DSC_0204

I won’t bore you with all the details but let’s just say this thing is SO much fun to drive! It surely isn’t the fastest thing I’ve ever owned but it is certainly one of the most exciting. The full-time AWD combined with the power makes accelerating very quickly from a stop so easy. That combined with how 99% of the population has no idea what this truck is or is capable of leads to many a bruised ego sitting back at a stoplight looking at its taillights going “Wait, what… did that SUV just blow my doors off?!” Puts a smile on my face every time!  Oh yeah, it will haul dogs and function for my work vehicle too, lol. And you’d never suspect it but it gets nearly as good of gas mileage as my dad’s Prius (wink, wink).

DSC_0238

Anyway, I’ve probably already written too much but if you know me at all you know I can talk/write about car stuff for quite a long time.  I of course had to detail it the next day after getting her home and these are from its first photoshoot after the first wash.

DSC_0227DSC_0228

I think what Steph likes most about the new ride is that it has front AND rear heated seats.

DSC_0259

Thanks for the guest post, Babe!

3 comments:

McMom said...

Well, bless that Harding creative writing teacher...whoever he / she was....good job Ryan! Glad the McWife gave you the reins on this one! McMom

Kevin said...

I guess your wife has more faith in you being able to keep it short and sweet. Last year I was not allowed to do the post about the T-Bird (just tried some HTML code there, hope it worked), because Jenny knew I could not keep it short enough :-), but she did a great job as did you. Congrats on the new ride, I know you are loving it.

Ryan said...

Well she didn't know it at first (I told her after the fact) but my first draft was like 12 paragraphs long with a lot more detail, lol. I got finished and looked at it all and knew it was going to be too much. So I literally went back and deleted like 6 paragraphs and just got to the point. It hurt to do but I knew it had to be done, lol.

Thanks and yes, I am definitely loving it! Hoping to hit the track with it tomorrow for some baseline ET's. I'll keep you posted.