Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Recipe Recap: Turkey-Veggie Meatloaf with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

I know that meatloaf is mostly considered one of those comfort foods for a cold winter’s day, but I was in the mood for some this weekend.  Of course, I had to go with a recipe for healthified meatloaf and this one was right up my alley.

I chopped up a couple carrots, a red pepper, and some shallots.

DSC_0192

Then all those were sauteed before I added them and a few other things like basil, Parmesan cheese, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes, to the ground meat.  I mushed (Alert! Technical cooking term there.) it all together with my hands and patted it into a loaf pan and baked it for 40 minutes.

I served the meatloaf alongside peas and steamed cauliflower.

DSC_0198

I love all the dots of veggies in the meatloaf.  The sun-dried tomatoes imparted a great flavor, but the McHusband suggested that maybe the meatloaf could’ve used a little heat and I think I agree.  If I make this again, or if you choose to and you like a little spice, I think red pepper flakes would take it to the next level.

DSC_0197

I don’t normally eat much of our leftovers, but I took a piece of this and some peas into work today for lunch.  It more than hit the spot.

I divided the meatloaf up into six slices.  According to MFP, each slice was about 235 calories and had 26 grams of protein.

Comfort food in a healthy package?  Sign me up!

{Recipe here}

No comments: