Friday, May 4, 2012

{Recipe Recap} Jo-Ann’s Power Bars

I recently bought my first bag of whole wheat flour with plans to use it in muffins.  Then I saw this recipe and, I don’t know, it just sorta spoke to me.  I don’t know why; other than the flour, I didn’t have the other main ingredients.  No dried fruit, Grape Nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, or applesauce.  I was even out of the oats, normally a pantry staple.

Maybe it was the Green Monster challenge that got me thinking I could improve some of my food choices.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not revamping my entire diet.  I’m not giving up my Kashi or my six-pack of Lance Peanut Butter & Honey crackers that I eat every weekday around 10:00 at the office.  But it seems like I could try to eat some less-processed foods so long as it’s convenient and tastes good.  Luckily, these bars qualify.

DSC_0364

I added a couple tablespoons of flax seed, which I’ve been adding to my smoothies,  and used pecans instead of walnuts but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.  I divided the bars into 12 squares and MFP told me they were about 190 calories with 4 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber each.  I would’ve preferred them to be closer to 150 calories with the same protein and fiber so I might play around with the recipe and see what I can come up with.

DSC_0363

My general review is that these have good texture and they taste healthy but in a flavorful way.  They won’t be mistaken for a cookie, but they aren’t something you have to force yourself to eat.  If you feed your kids granola bars but you secretly feel a little guilty about giving them glorified junk food, definitely give this recipe a try.

My first batch of these is just about gone, and I will definitely be making them again.  And not just because I have a whole box of Walmart-brand Grape Nuts save half a cup in my pantry that I need to use up.

{Recipe here}

No comments: