Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kim’s Baby Shower: The food

You may have noticed over the course of this blog or because you’ve been to some of my get-togethers, but I tend to go a bit overboard when it comes to the food.  I guess my thinking is that I want to make sure there’s something for everyone, and not just ONE thing, but I want everyone to have several things they like.

DSC_0455

DSC_0463

I decided to keep the food for the shower as simple as possible.  Between there being only women in attendance and the 2:00 start time, I figured plates would be far from loaded down.  Turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

DSC_0456

The savory:

DSC_0455

The sweets:

DSC_0457

The sips:

  • Sangria (Instead of the 2 c. pineapple juice, I used a can of pineapple chunks; I didn’t add the ginger ale; I added about a cup of peach schnapps and half a cup of cherry vodka)
  • Best Punch Ever (Mix together strawberry Jell-O powder, 2 c. water, limeade concentrate, and large can pineapple juice; freeze in Ziploc bag; put in punch bowl and pour a two-liter of ginger ale over the frozen mixture.)
  • Pinot Grigio and Chardonnay

The sangria was gone in no time, which surprised me but in a good way.  I wish I’d made a double batch since everyone obviously enjoyed it so much.  Same with the Best Punch Ever.  That recipe came from Shawn and Vanessa and they didn’t lie, it was good stuff.

The real star of the party (besides Kim, of course) were the crab cakes.  Those things were so much better than I expected and everyone said how yummy they were (as they headed back to grab more).  They were very easy to put together.  I made the filling the night before then Melissa, my cohostess, put them together with the crumb mixture right before the shower.  I bet you could make these in regular muffin tins and have them as a meal.  If you’re looking for an appetizer that’ll impress, give these crabby bites a try.

Kim requested brownies with frosting and I still had some frosting from that cookie dough-cake concoction from the other weekend.  The two worked very well together.  One of Kim’s favorite flavor combos is lemon and raspberry so that’s what inspired the cupcake choice.  I kicked it up a notch with the homemade lemon curd filling.

DSC_0464

I went heavy on the frosting and ended up having to make a second batch of it, but I was out of raspberry jam.  Luckily I had some homemade (not by me) strawberry jelly so I was able to make enough frosting for the rest of the cupcakes.

Here, Leigh can demonstrate why I ran out of frosting.  My philosophy is that the frosting should be as tall as the cupcake.

DSC_0488

More people pics to come!

No comments: