Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My weeds are blooming!

So you know how I extolled the virtues of vinca before? I love it even more now.

I'd noticed a bunch of green things popping up around my vinca, mostly by the sidewalk to the left of the front porch, and thought they were probably weeds, but they kinda looked like vinca so I figured I'd give them a chance. They were actually easier to pull out when they were a little bigger so it worked to let them grow a little.

Soon, I had a LOT of these interlopers around my vinca. I still wasn't sure what they were, but I just had a feeling that I should let them grow a little more.

My patience paid off. One of the weeds had a white flower on it - vinca!

See all the green stuff to the left of the pink flowers? Those are all new flowers. I can't remember my vinca being so... prolific in the past.

And there's the white flower that caught my eye.
I've grown vinca out of a crack between the bottom brick step and the sidewalk at the other house. I don't guess I should be surprised to see it basically coming out of nowhere.
Hmm, I'm starting to think any green thumb I might have is probably green from luck rather than plant-growing success.

1 comment:

Susan M. said...

Goll darn -- how in the heck are you cultivating new flowers already? If this keeps up, next year we can really cut back on the number of vincas that need to be bought and planted.