Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Yeah, yeah, I'm a day late and probably more than a dollar short.

I really like decorating for Halloween. I wouldn't say I go all out because I've seen what "all out" means at some houses and they're awesome. But I think I do a pretty good job of getting into the spirit of the holiday.

















I hung a skull in the tree by the driveway. He's supposed to glow in the dark, but I'm not sure if he did.













I made ghosts out of a cheap white sheet and a couple wire hangers, and used the McHusband's old black curtains to frame the columns on either side of the stairs.













This little guy was hanging out right at the edge of the sidewalk. Since he's black, I'm not sure if anyone noticed him, but that was kinda my plan. I didn't want to scare people away before they'd even set foot on the front porch.













The McMom got me this translucent skeleton window thing a couple years ago, and he's pretty impressive at night with some light behind him. I had someone commenting on him at the Fall Festival last weekend.













I love my big black spiders, and the crows my mom got me really help set the scene.













































My mom also got me the talking head in the bubble, which is sound activated. He gives out sound advice like, "Live a healthy life. You'll die anyway, but you'll look better."

















He made one little chicken cry and be on the verge of a panic attack, and he made another little kid pretty nervous. But then there was a two-year-old giraffe who was fascinated by him. It reminds me of babies and the McHusband. They either like him or hate him, there's not much in between.

See my black "cauldron" to the right of the talking head? I have a fog machine in there. It's remote-controlled so I'd send out fog when I knew people were getting close to the house. Here's a quick peek behind the scenes:













And a little fog action.













The talking guy was actually sound-activated so when I set off the fog machine, he'd do his thing. It worked out great. (For me, not so much for the little chicken.)

I did my best to get some nighttime photos and they turned out okay, but they just don't give you quite the impression of how things really looked.









































I had parents and kids complimenting my decorations, which made it all worth it. I think one lady even took a picture. Now I've gotta take it all down on a cold and rainy Sunday when it's gonna get dark early. Guess that means I need to get off the computer and head outside.

Goodbye, Halloween '09. It was fun while it lasted!

2 comments:

Gma said...

AWESOME! Feel sorry for the little chicken though.

And so how you gonna top this next year? You have to, ya know, now that you've set a level of expectation.

Hmmmm... maybe we need to start work on those cobwebs??

McMom said...

It all looked GREAT!! I like the skeletons in the upstairs windows too.... I bet it all looked great from the street at night. I thought I recognized those curtains! Yep, better hit the sales to have more for next year!! McMom