Friday, November 6, 2009

Recipe Recap: Mustard Crusted Tilapia

The McHusband and I planned to have a home-cooked meal last night. I went straight to the park by our old house to run after work, and he hit the grocery store on the way home then was going to work out. I knew I'd be home early - around 6:00 - so I could actually make dinner on a weeknight, and I was looking forward to it. The McHusband suggested fish so I looked up some recipes and decided on one that kept the grocery list fairly short - all we needed was the actual tilapia. And, lucky us, it was on sale at Harris Teeter: we got two 6-oz filets for $5.59.

I chose the Mustard Crusted Tilapia even though the name leaves something to be desired. For some reason, "crusted" just doesn't sound all that appealing. Since this is a food post, I won't go into the things that word conjured up for me.

Here's all we needed:













{What, you don't bake your fish in a pie plate?}

After the fish baked for 10 minutes, I pulled it out and spread the paste over the two filets. And, in my recently rebellious fashion, I doubled the paste because after making it, I knew it wouldn't be enough for fish-tolerators like the McHusband and me.













I nuked some Steamfresh corn and some Uncle Ben's minute-and-a-half rice, and we had a nutritious, yummy, easy (if not very colorful) weeknight meal. I definitely see more tilapia in our near future.













My review of this recipe: I loved how easy and inexpensive it was. Taste-wise, I think I'd cut back on the lemon juice. I'm not a big fan of lemon-flavored food (real food like chicken and pasta; I love lemon desserts) so I might be biased, but I thought the lemon taste was a little strong. I think we'll make this again and I'd still double the recipe, but I'd stick with the original amount of lemon juice. All in all, it was definitely a hit for us.

2 comments:

McMom said...

GREAT and it was a meal cooked on a work night -- and not all that difficult.. You may want to try the Gremolata Tilapia sometime on your own.... It is yummy and you can cut back on the lemon zest. Tilapia is definitely a yummy fish.
Love, McMom

Gma said...

One of my favorites ... I probably eat once a week. I can see where you found the recipe appealing - may just have to try it!