Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Recipe recap

I made more of "my" banana bread this weekend. The recipe I use is Best Ever Banana Bread and guess what? It really is. It's easy to make because it calls for pantry staples in addition to the bananas so I don't have to make a trip to the store for a special ingredient like sour cream or cream cheese. I don't even buy the buttermilk, I just make my own with milk and vinegar.













When I grease my pans, I put sugar in them then tip the pans into all sorts of awkward positions to get the sugar to coat the bottom and sides. It gives the outside a little crunch, which is a nice complement to the moist bread.













I baked the bread on Sunday and I also made dinner for us that night. My kitchen has rarely seen this much action in one day. I'd intended to make Giada's Cheesy Baked Tortellini when my dad and sister were visiting, but my dad informed me that he didn't much care for tortellini. Pasta with cheese built right into it - what's not to love?

I thought the sauce was going to be more of a pink sauce so I was a little disappointed that it didn't turn out that way, but all in all the dish was good and it was super easy. You basically toss the boiled-for-a-couple-minutes tortellini with the sauce, put some cheese on top, then bake for 30 minutes.













{Next time, I'm going to fill in all the gaps with more mozzarella.}

The McHusband and I ate half the dish that night, then we had the leftovers last night.













I think I'll give this another try, but I'm going to find a different sauce recipe for it.

Check me out being all experimental with my cooking. First the sugar in the banana bread pans, now a different sauce than the recipe calls for? I'm a rebel, what can I say.

2 comments:

McMom said...

A rebel for sure..... I highly recommend most any Classico sauce in the jar!
http://www.allbusiness.com/food-beverage/food-industry-dairy-dairy-products/12218219-1.html

Specifically though I like the Traditional Sweet Basil.... you and Ryan might like the slight kick of the new Spicey Tomato Basil.

I have done this before with ravioli, just not with tortellini -- you are right, what is not to love? Jenny and I have a saying -- "There is NO such thing as too much cheese." Love, McMom

Gma said...

I KNOW I don't much cook anymore (as I am reminded A BUNCH!), but once upon a lifetime I was in the kitchen daily cooking for a family of five (well, with the exception of most Fridays which was Mom's day off and pizza night!). I know today's schedules are busy and sandwiches and cereal are an easy fix, but I've gotta say that I LOVE that you're expanding into cooking and trying new things!

I'm with McMom and Jenny - too much cheese? NEVER!!