Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie Challenge Day 1

While I entered into this challenge fairly reluctantly, I’m actually looking forward to trying some new combos, all of them involving spinach of course.

Tuesday’s Green Monster:

  • About 1 cup spinach
  • 1/2 cup Cabot plain lowfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 small frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/3 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • Ice as needed to thicken the smoothie

So what’s the verdict?  If I’d had this with a blindfold on, I would never have guessed that it had spinach in it.  I think it was only because I knew the spinach was in there that I detected an ever-so-slight “fresh” flavor.  It’s hard to describe it exactly, but imagine if you were eating something you knew was natural and good for you and how it wouldn’t be overly processed and you’d sorta be able to taste all that information.

So for real, what did I think?  I liked it!

DSC_0002

I hadn’t yet taken a swig when the McHusband snapped the photo above so…

Bottoms up!

DSC_0003

My smoothie worked out to be just about 350 calories.  I’d be happier if it were between 250 and 300 calories so that I have more room in my diet during the day for things like dark chocolate Hershey Kisses.  After all, haven’t you heard the newest good news about chocolate?  But so long as I get a good workout in at the end of the day, a big (for me) breakfast isn’t going to throw me too far off track.

My next smoothie is going to use some peanut butter chocolate protein powder.  I have a feeling it’s not going to be a very pretty shade of green and may in fact not even be green at all, but I’ve got my fingers crossed that the flavor makes it easy to overlook appearances.

Anyone curious enough to try a Green Monster for yourself?

No comments: