Friday, March 9, 2012

Recipe Recap: Game Night Treats

DSC_1105DSC_1115DSC_0937

Now THAT’S a good way to start a Friday.  Have a great weekend!

Okay, okay, I think you deserve a little more than that.  Let’s start with those three divine layers of chocolaty deliciousness.

DSC_1110

When I first saw this recipe, I immediately sent it to Heather and told her I was saving it for her birthday in June.  When we decided shortly after that email to have game night, she sent the link to the recipe back to me and said, “I think we need to have this sooner than later.”  She was so right.

This dessert requires a number of steps – and many hand-washes of the KitchenAid mixer bowl and whisk attachment – but it’s not difficult to put together.

You melt chocolate and butter:

DSC_0929

You separate eggs:

DSC_0931

You whip heavy cream and fold everything together.

DSC_0933

Do some variation on that twice more and voila!  You get Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake.

DSC_1108

My pictures really don’t do it justice.  See Courtney’s post to get your drool on.

I actually considered not doing the white chocolate mousse layer and just covering the top with homemade sweetened whipped cream.  I’m so glad I didn’t take the lazy way out because that top layer was perfection in dessert form.  And I’m not white chocolate’s biggest fan so if this layer stood out above two regular chocolate layers, that’s saying something.

DSC_1107

I took the leftover cake to the doctor’s office in my building and the next day, I heard it got rave reviews from even the resident chocolate snob.  The lady telling me this asked me where I got it from.  She almost didn’t believe me when I told her I made it.

DSC_1111

Okay, now a treat for those of you who prefer fruity or fruit-flavored desserts. 

DSC_1112

I made this using Jell-O’s strawberry pudding, which I picked up on a whim.  I have since stocked up on 5 more boxes.

If you’ve had a McDonald’s strawberry milkshake, then you have an idea of what this tastes like.  I will ALWAYS choose chocolate over any other flavor, but not where a strawberry milkshake from Mickey D’s is concerned; that thing is good!

My layers went like this: graham cracker crust, a cream cheese-marshmallow cream mixture, straight-up strawberry pudding made according to the pie filling instructions, then a strawberry pudding-Cool Whip combo on top.

DSC_1116

My crust was kind of thick, which is how I like it.  It didn’t work for everyone; good thing I was around to gobble up the scraps off people’s plates.

DSC_1118

I’m already planning to make this again but I’ll use sweetened condensed milk to make the pudding and maybe I’ll go with a pretzel crust.  Sweet and salty?  Yes please!

DSC_1113

And last but not least, I made slightly-more-than-two-ingredients ice cream: Peanut Butter Ice Cream with Nutter Butters and Reese’s Baking Bits.

DSC_0944

I mixed about 3/4 cup of peanut butter with the sweetened condensed milk then stirred in my chopped-up cookies.

DSC_0934 

I folded in my homemade whipped cream and then the mini Reese’s Pieces.

DSC_0939

DSC_0938

I kinda wish this had turned out terribly.  Unfortunately for my hips, this was another successful experiment so I’m feeling all confident in my ice cream-making skills and wanting to try lots more yummy combinations.

DSC_0941

Mmm, couldn’t you almost lick the screen?  Go ahead, no one’s watching.  I won’t judge.

It’s Friday!!!  Bring on the weekend!  I don’t have much going on socially this weekend, which will work out well.  I’ve got plans for chores around the house and getting some party decorations in place.  And Tucker is most definitely getting a bath so keep your fingers crossed that it’s sunny and mid-60’s on Sunday as predicted (since we give the dogs baths on the deck).

Have a great weekend!

No comments: