Monday, February 11, 2013

{Recipe and Race Recap} Krispy Kreme Cake

Well, I rose to the challenge.  The Krispy Kreme Challenge, that is.  I ran 2.5 miles, fighting the crowd the whole time, picked up my box o’ doughnuts, then ran 2.5 miles back to where the event began.  I was worried I’d be dodging people puking or puddles of puke at the finish line, but there was only one messy spot that I saw.

According to my watch, I did all of this in a little over 45 minutes, which was about 5 minutes faster than I expected to finish in.  I haven’t run much since last fall so I really didn’t know how I’d feel while running, but I needn’t have worried.  It felt good to be out there jogging amongst the crowd.

Here we are before the race started.

20130209_082227

From left to right: Vanessa, Chelle, Bronte, Bianca, Heather, and moi.

Don’t let our smiles fool you: we were FREEZING!  It was maybe 30 degrees and the wind was blowing and we weren’t out in the sun, which really did make a difference.  I’m glad we got to the race with only a few minutes to spare before it started so we didn’t have to stand around any longer.

I stole this picture from WRAL.  I’m calling it Doughnut Alley.  The organizers did a good job, I thought, of setting up the midway point with the doughnuts.

Doughnut alley

But to give you a better idea of how it really looked when we got to it, here’s a picture Heather took when they got there.

20130209_090917

All in all, it was a fun event but I’m not gonna lie – I didn’t enjoy being out there on such a cold morning.  Thank goodness the sun was shining.  Chelle and Heather participated a couple years ago when it was just about as cold but raining.  I would’ve bowed out if that had been this year’s weather.

So the big question remains: Did I eat my doughnuts?  I’ll give you a hint: as of Sunday evening, there were just two left.  However, I didn’t eat any of the missing ones.  Well, not straight out of the box anyway.

I made The Hungry Texan’s Honey Bun Cake, subbing my doughnuts for the honey buns.

DSC_3928

What you see there is yellow cake batter covered in a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and then 8 doughnuts layered on top of all that.  I poured more cake batter over all that, topped it off with more of the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture, then baked it for 45 minutes.  You guys should’ve smelled my house while it was in the oven – divine!

DSC_3929

When it came out of the oven, I poured a simple powdered sugar glaze over the whole thing.

DSC_3931

If a glazed yeast doughnut and one of those cinnamon-powdered cake donuts had a baby, this is what Junior would taste like.

DSC_3930

Totally worth running the five miles so that I could make this.  The McHusband and I shared that missing corner, but let me tell you, I could’ve eaten half the pan by myself.  I cut a few pieces to share with my coworkers and will send the rest of it to the McHusband’s office.  I need to get it far, FAR away from my mouth.

Happy Monday!

{Recipe here}

2 comments:

Gma said...

Congrats Ladies! You are better women than me to be out in that freezing cold! It was a grab your woolies kind of morning for sure!

While there is nothing like a fresh, warm doughnut served off the conveyor belt, this recipe looks like it's a close second!

BTW, who in the heck wakes up in the morning and says "I think I'll try to make a yummy treat with a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts and then publish it so that other bakers can make and enjoy as well"?

McMom said...

WOW!! That is all I can say...guess you didn't freeze me a taste to bring Sat...... McMom