Tuesday, February 26, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Banana Poppy Seed Quinoa Muffins

I’ve been posting a lot of treats lately, but I swear that I haven’t fallen off the Wellness Wagon.  I made that jambalaya, and in an effort to use up a ripe banana in a way I’d actually eat more of than just a bite, I decided to try these muffins

I wasn’t sure how these were going to turn out, but I was willing to take a chance on them.  I figured they were either going to be surprisingly good or really, really terrible.

DSC_3972

Turns out, they weren’t really either but thank goodness they were more the former than the latter.

DSC_3964

Since the recipe calls for the banana to be diced up rather than mashed and added to the batter, I think if I made these again I’d actually use two bananas.

DSC_3967

Also, I think some cinnamon would go a long way.  Actually, some cinnamon CHIPS would go even further, but that’d kinda go directly against my reasoning for baking these muffins.

DSC_3969

If you aren’t sure that quinoa’s for you, trying it baked in muffins or cookies might be the way to go.  But I wouldn’t make these unless you know you like quinoa because they definitely lean to the healthy-tasting side.

DSC_3971

You know what I think these muffins would be perfect for?  Young palates that haven’t had much sugar or many overly sweet foods.  So for those of you with toddlers, I would recommend making these muffins for them.

DSC_3968

Oh, and a word of advice: If you do decide to make these, skip the liners and just grease your muffin pan. The liner wanted to stick to the muffins so that you couldn’t eat portions of them without ingesting some paper.

Some of you may want to know how these break down.  I got 16 muffins from the recipe and MFP told me they had 148 calories and 4 grams of protein.

{Recipe here}

No comments: