Thursday, February 21, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Slow Cooker Jambalaya

I’m going to interrupt the sweets-athon I’ve been on lately to bring you real food.  And not just real food, but something delicious and healthy.

DSC_3980

And the best part?  Other than minimal chopping and slicing prior to dumping everything into the crockpot, it practically made itself!

DSC_3974

I used the Al Fresco Smoky Andouille Chicken Sausage to help keep this on a healthy track.  I sliced all four links and even cut some of those slices in half just to make sure there was enough sausage throughout the dish.  Since the sausage is precooked, I added it about an hour before the jambalaya was due to be done.

DSC_3981

Then with half an hour to go, I added a 12-oz bag of extra small frozen shrimp.  With chicken, sausage, and shrimp, this jambalaya was chock full of healthy protein.

DSC_3973

The amount of spice was just right for the McHusband and me.  Not so spicy as to overtake the flavor of the jambalaya as a whole, but enough to have some kick.  I’d say if you’re sensitive to heat in your food, cut the cayenne pepper back to half a teaspoon.

Oh, and check out my bowl.

DSC_3975

Serves double-duty as a soup container and hand warmer.  Perfect for the cold weather we’ve been having lately.

If you’re interested, this made 12 cups of jambalaya.  Calculated with my 1.45 lb of chicken, my package of sausage, and my 12 ounces of shrimp, each one-cup serving had 145 calories and 23 grams of protein.  Not too shabby.

The McHusband and I both recommend this.  I served it over some orzo pasta the first night, then ate my leftovers over some quinoa.  Both options were excellent.

{Recipe here}

P.S.  Happy birthday to my niece, Olivia, who turns 2 today.  Can’t wait to celebrate her big day in person tomorrow.

No comments: