Friday, October 4, 2013

20 weeks

How your baby's growing:

Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. (The sonographer told us the McBaby weighed 13 oz and it measured in at 20w4d.) He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — about the size of a banana.

He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and you'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

1002131106

(This is one of the 4-D pictures we got of the McBaby on Tuesday.)

How mom is changing:

The top of your uterus is about level with your belly button, and you've likely gained around 10 pounds. (I’m up 7 from my first doctor’s visit at 8 weeks to the most recent one.) Expect to gain another pound or so each week from now on.

How I’m feeling: Pretty much the same – my stamina’s affected during workouts and I get winded walking up the three flights of stairs between the parking garage and my office at work, but otherwise I’m feeling pretty normal.

Workouts: Still going strong! I’m still attending my once-a-week boot camp class and this past Saturday I did my back-to-back Body Pump and Power Hour Extreme classes. Throw in a spin class, a few cardio machines, and a muscle conditioning class, and I’m getting well-rounded workouts. I modify as needed, but I’m feeling good.

Food cravings/aversions: Still just want carbs – candy, crackers, chips, chocolate. But I’ve always been a carb queen so I’m not too surprised.

Sleep: I fall asleep faster now than before I spent my days growing a baby, but I tend to wake up a lot during the night, which I did before. I don’t have to go to the bathroom every night, which is good, but since I don’t need to do that, it sure would be nice to get an uninterrupted 7 hours each weeknight. Shoot, I’d even settle for 6 good solid hours!

Movement: Maybe? I think just this week I’ve been feeling something. If I had to describe it, I’d say it felt like a bubble releasing in my tummy.

Belly button in or out: In!

Rings on or off: On and in no danger of not fitting so far.

Maternity clothes: Some. Luckily it’s still warm enough in these parts that I can wear my normal dresses to work and those fit fine. Regular pants are iffy depending on their size so I have worn some maternity pants. They’re still a little big but that’s way more comfortable than having my waistbands digging into my growing belly.

Recent fun or interesting things: The big ultrasound! Yep, we found out on Tuesday what the baby is, and we can’t wait to share it at the party this weekend.

New baby items: Someone gave us some diapers, which we really appreciated. Otherwise, nothing yet, but now that we know if we should be leaning toward pink or blue, I’m ready to hit the baby department at Target.

Miss anything?: Drinking and looking fit. I’m very much in that chubby phase right now and there’s nothing I can do about it. Good posture can only do so much for the belly. The McHusband and I went to a concert a couple Fridays ago and people were buying bottles of wine and I really, REALLY wanted some. I know some alcohol in moderation is probably fine, but I’m choosing not to have anything more than a sip to taste someone else’s drink until the baby’s more developed.

1003130756

(Picture taken yesterday.)

Happy Friday!

No comments: