Monday, October 21, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Chocolate Oreo Chess Pie

It’s Monday, and you know what that means: something sweet to help ease you into the work week.

DSC_7568

Our neighborhood had its annual Fall Festival this past Saturday.  We’ve always had a chili cookoff and this year we added a dessert bakeoff.

DSC_7726

I made two things, not to increase my chances but because I wanted to make something that I knew would work for a crowd and also try something new.  My “something old” was Oatmeal Cream Pies, which I’ve made a couple times before.

DSC_7570

They don’t look special and they won’t blow your taste buds out of the water, but they are pretty darn good.

DSC_7572

But back to the star of the show, the pie.

DSC_7569

It’s chocolate through and through.  With cocoa powder and chopped Oreos in the filling and dark chocolate chips sprinkled on top, this is a treat for all you chocolate lovers out there.

DSC_7720

This pie is flourless.  The top gets a little crusty while the rest of the filling stays gooey.

DSC_7727

And then you get a bite or three of the softened Oreo chunk.  Yum!

DSC_7723

I’ve never made a pie with a real pie crust, homemade or store bought.  I opted to go with Pillsbury’s crust this time around.  Maybe next time maybe I’ll try my hand at my own pie crust.

DSC_7721

So I’m sure you’re dying to know how my pie fared in the contest.  I took second place behind a pumpkin roll.  Of course, I had to try the winning treat and while the cake part was very good, the cream cheese filling had a slight citrus/orange flavor in it.  I’ve said it before, I’m not huge on fruit desserts, especially not when the taste is snuck in so that I don’t know to expect it.  That’s just wrong, I tell you.

I gave the McHusband the rest of mine and went back for more of my pie.  Mmm, look at all that chocolate…

DSC_7567

I may not have had the best dessert according to some not-so-discerning palates, but my chili won for the second year in a row.  Woot woot!

{Recipe here}

PS  Happy 8th Anniversary to my wonderful McHusband!  I love you!

No comments: