Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Celebrating with chocolate

After Michigan and a girls’ dinner celebrating two birthdays, all of which will be documented here, but before the McHusband’s most recent skydiving this weekend, there was a visit to the Videri Chocolate Factory right here in downtown Raleigh.

IMG_3705

Heather’s birthday was Saturday and even though we girls had already officially celebrated it the previous Wednesday, I wanted to do something ON her actual birthday, especially since I knew Bruce unfortunately had to work all day.  Heather knew we were going to lunch then doing something afterward, but she didn’t know about the chocolate factory until we were halfway downtown and she was captive in my passenger seat.  Luckily, she seemed excited at the idea of our dessert plans.

We met Kim at Brewmasters Grill and Bar, somewhere none of us had been before.  It was fairly empty for lunch, but that had nothing to do with the food, which was very good.  Heather had the Turkey Club, I had a black bean burger, and Kim had a regular burger and we’d all three happily get the same meal again.

From lunch, we walked to Videri.  As we went through this pedestrian alley, Kim looked around and said, “I think Greg and I took some engagement pictures here.”  Heather helped jog her memory with a stereotypical lovey-dovey pose…

IMG_3688

You’d hardly know the factory was there if you weren’t looking for it.  I mean, it’s right across from The Pit’s patio, on which I had dinner not long ago, and I had no idea Videri was rightthere.  Lucky for Kim and Heather, I was with them and you all know how good I am with directions and finding my way around unfamiliar places.  Hah!

IMG_3707

This “tour” wasn’t like the one we did in Boston with Rick and Sabrina where we truly got to go behind the scenes to see how this whole bean-to-bar thing worked.  But we still got a glimpse of how they do things.

IMG_3690

We saw a huge roaster.

IMG_3691

And someone was actually working.

IMG_3692

We saw a vat of chocolate, which made Heather and I want to do the Encino Man thing and stick our heads under the chocolate pouring out of the faucet.  Our version of “wheezing the juice.”

IMG_3693

You know you’re tempted.  I mean, that chocolate’s just BEGGING to be tasted.

IMG_3694

So that’s pretty much the tour in a nutshell.  That’s okay, it let us get to the REAL reason we were there: the free samples!

IMG_3699

They had four for us to try, and I took a picture of the one none of us liked only because it was the only one that actually looked a little different.

IMG_3701

Look at all those chocolate bars.

IMG_3700

The Sea Salt Chocolate was my favorite so of course I had to buy a bar to take home.

IMG_3710

IMG_3713

Would I say the Videri Chocolate Factory needs to be a destination location for you?  Not right now.  But if you’re already in the fairly immediate area, it’d be worth stopping in and spending a few minutes walking through IF you like chocolate, especially darker, stronger chocolates.

IMG_3711

Hope you had a great birthday afternoon, Heather!  I’m glad we three got to spend it together.

No comments: