Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Recipe Recap: Blueberry Muffin Bread French Toast

It’s been a while since I shared any food with you guys.  Not because I haven’t been cooking and baking, because I have.  I just haven’t posted about it.

I had high hopes for this Blueberry Muffin Bread.  Blueberry muffins without the extra effort to portion the batter out among the wells?  Sign me up!

DSC_0971

When it comes to quick breads, my success rate is 50-50.  This one, unfortunately, didn’t tip the scales in my favor.  I normally have a problem with my breads being underbaked but this one was the complete opposite.  It was dry and crumbly for the most part, but with a little core of underbaked bread through the middle just to keep me on my toes.

DSC_0972

I hated to think that this whole loaf of bread was going to end up getting thrown away so I decided I’d try to salvage it by turning it into French toast.

I found this recipe for a not-bad-for-us egg coating.  Since I’d never made French toast before, I perused a bunch of recipes on Allrecipes to get a feel for how to make this breakfast staple.  I decided to use this wafflemaker method.

DSC_0963

I sliced my bread and coated both sides in my Egg Beater-milk-spice mixture.

DSC_0973

Into the wafflemaker for a few minutes and voila!

DSC_0976

I measured out a quarter-cup of sugar-free syrup and used every.last.drop on my French toast.

DSC_0967

DSC_0968

Nope, I didn’t like this at all.

DSC_0969

If you have a waffle iron – or three like me – try making Waffled French Toast, especially if you’re like me and prefer your French toast to have some crispiness on the outside.

DSC_0974

I’m really glad that this worked out for my dinner.  I was up just before 5:00 Tuesday morning so I could get in a 30-minute (actually 32:30 but who’s counting) run as part of my marathon training, which meant I didn’t have to go to the Y after work and could actually go home like a normal person.  I really don’t enjoy getting up early, but it sure is nice to have an entire evening at home.

I may have to accidentally overbake my next loaf of banana bread and see how that tastes as French toast…

DSC_0975

No comments: