Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fall Festival

Our neighborhood had a Fall Festival in our cul-de-sac today. It was actually supposed to be yesterday, but the weather didn't cooperate.

We had a chili cook-off and pie bake-off. People were obviously more into the chili because there were ELEVEN crockpots of chili compared to just three pies. I contributed to each contest.

One of the neighbors hooked up a trailer and gave hay rides to the kids, most of which came in costume.













Somehow the McHusband ended up as the fourth chili judge even though no one tied to any of the chilis was supposed to be rating them. He said he pulled as hard as he could for my chili without seeming like he had something at stake; in the end, he was pretty sure mine was the runner-up. Second place out of 11? I'll take it.













I'm not sure what happened to the pie contest. Only three were contributed (an apple pie, a pumpkin pie, and my/Pioneer Woman's Peanut Butter Pie) so I think the organizer decided we were all winners.

Two neighbors and I judged the kids' costumes and there were some really cute ones. One little boy was a chicken and he had a sign written in the Chick-Fil-A font that said Eat Mor Kow. He was our favorite in his age group with an adorable giraffe coming in second.

The scariest costume award went to Elmo. What, you don't think Elmo's scary? When he's a 30-something-year-old man wearing red face paint, he's just not the cuddly Elmo you expect. I didn't exactly want to reach out and tickle him, you know? (He's toward the left in the picture.)













All in all, it was a very nice evening and I'm so glad we were able to participate. They had last year's festival right before we moved in so this was a good way to continue to get to know our neighbors as well as meet some new people.

Now I've gotta work on my chili recipe so I can win next year.

1 comment:

McMom said...

Chase thinks Elmo is scarey.... he cries when our Elmo talks! REALLY!
He will be here with us tomorrow and he and PaPaw are building a WAGON!! With our 80's vintage toy called Omagles.......Love, McMom